|Game||Zoo Tycoon 2|
|Seasons||Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring|
|Vegetation||Broadleaf Deciduous Trees|
Temperate Forest is a biome in Zoo Tycoon 2.
- Temperate deciduous forests are the type of forest found in the eastern United States.
- Forests composed of deciduous species - ones that periodically shed their leaves - grow in well-watered parts of the temperate zone in which a long, warm growing season alternates with a cold winter. Precipitation, as either rain or snow, tends to fall throughout the year.
- Deciduous trees, shrubs, and woody vines, whether in the tropics or in the middle latitudes, drop their leaves during a time of drought. For woody plants in the temperate zone, winter is such a time. In regions where the winter is so severe that the ground freezes, water cannot be taken up by the plant roots. But even in milder areas, the cold air and winter winds would quickly suck the moisture from a plant through its broad, thin leaves if they did not fall first.
- In the spring, the forest floor is carpeted with wildflowers that bloom in the sunlight that bathes the ground before the trees and shrubs regrow their shade-casting leaves. After the long season of growth and reproduction, the changing colors of the leaves signal the beginning of the woody plants' preparation for winter. The aspect of the forest during the cold season can be quite stark, although some evergreens may offer a bit of color. In colder parts of the deciduous forest region, approaching the coniferous forests to the north, transitional mixed forests of deciduous and evergreen species are the rule.
- Temperate deciduous forests are almost entirely confined to the Northern Hemisphere, where they occur in three major tracts. In Europe, the zone of deciduous and mixed forests stretches from the British Isles and France through central and eastern Europe as far as the Ural Mountains. In East Asia, these forests clothe the Russian Far East, Korea, and Japan. Their counterparts in North America occupy most of the area from the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean and south to the Gulf of Mexico.
- Although widely separated, these deciduous forests are much alike, not only in appearance but also in the groups of plants that compose them: birches, hornbeams, alders, beeches, oaks, chestnuts, lindens, elms, walnuts, maples, and ashes.
- A long history of human occupation of these wooded regions, especially in Eurasia, has reduced many forests to tiny remnants. In parts of western Europe, millennia of forest destruction have resulted in the development of extensive areas of treeless heaths.
|Common Peafowl||Low Risk||0.5||Asia||Zoo Tycoon 2|
|Giant Panda||Endangered||5||China||Zoo Tycoon 2|
|Red Panda||Endangered||4||China||Zoo Tycoon 2|
|Ring-Tailed Lemur||Vulnerable||3||Madagascar||Zoo Tycoon 2|
|Asiatic Black Bear||Vulnerable||2||Asia||Downloads|
|Koala||Low Risk||2.5||Australia||Endangered Species|
|Spanish Lynx||Critically Endangered||3.5||Spain||Endangered Species|
|Spectacled Bear||Vulnerable||4||South America||Endangered Species|
|Barbary Ape||Vulnerable||2.5||Northwest Africa||African Adventure|
|Bush-Antlered Deer||Extinct||1.5||Eurasia||Extinct Animals|
| Aquatic • Coniferous Forest • Deciduous Forest • Desert • Grassland|
Highland • Tropical Rainforest • Savannah • Salt Water • Tundra
|Zoo Tycoon 2|
| Alpine • Benthic • Boreal Forest • Coastal • Desert • Grassland • Pelagic|
Reef • Savannah • Scrub • Temperate Forest • Tropical Rainforest • Tundra • Wetlands