|Game||Zoo Tycoon 2|
- The beaver is a semiaquatic rodent noted for the building of dams. There are only two kinds of beavers, the American beaver and the Eurasian beaver. The two species share similar behavior and anatomy, although they have some small physical differences, such as the shape of the nasal bones. They are large rodents; the average adult beaver weighs about 16 kg (about 35 lb), but specimens as heavy as 40 kg (90 lb) have been found, and some extinct beavers were almost bearlike in size.
- The North American beaver is widely known for its habit of building dams and for its closely knit family units. The construction of the dam produces a small- to moderate-sized beaver pond that helps to increase the biological diversity of the surrounding area as well as conserve water and maintain water flow.
- Look out below! Beavers are sometimes dropped by parachute into remote areas to build dams and reduce erosion in rivers.
- The secretion beavers produce to mark their territories contains acetylsalicylic acid, the main ingredient in aspirin.
- A beaver can stay underwater for up to 15 minutes by storing extra oxygen in its lungs and body tissue.
| Aquatic • Coniferous Forest • Deciduous Forest • Desert • Grassland|
Highland • Tropical Rainforest • Savannah • Salt Water • Tundra
|Zoo Tycoon 2|
| Alpine • Benthic • Boreal Forest • Coastal • Desert • Grassland • Pelagic|
Reef • Savannah • Scrub • Temperate Forest • Tropical Rainforest • Tundra • Wetlands